As an athlete, your body requires proper nutrition to perform at its best. Whether you’re a marathon runner, a weightlifter, or a soccer player, fueling your body with the right nutrients is crucial for optimal performance. When it comes to nutrition, incorporating wholesome ingredients into your diet is key.
During the cold winter months, there’s nothing quite as comforting and nourishing as a warm bowl of soup for lunch. It’s a simple pleasure that can provide a much-needed respite from the chilly weather. Soup offers numerous benefits during this time of year, starting with its ability to warm you from the inside out. The steam rising from the bowl not only provides instant coziness but also helps to clear your sinuses and soothe your throat.
Here is a delicious and nutrient-packed recipe that combines the goodness of sweet potatoes and maca powder. This hearty soup not only provides a burst of flavor but also offers numerous health benefits to support your athletic endeavors.
One of the fantastic aspects of this Sweet Potato and Maca Soup recipe is that it is entirely dairy-free. This makes it an excellent choice for individuals with lactose intolerance or those following a dairy-free lifestyle. By omitting dairy products, the soup becomes lighter and easier to digest, allowing you to enjoy all the flavors and benefits without any discomfort.
Also Read: [RECIPE] Non-Dairy Cream of Zucchini Soup
The Sweet Potato and Maca Soup recipe is not only dairy-free but also gluten-free, making it suitable for individuals who follow a gluten-free diet or have gluten sensitivities. Here’s a bit more info on the whole-food nutritional powerhouses featured in this recipe:
Sweet potatoes are a nutrient-dense root vegetable that is rich in complex carbohydrates, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. They are an excellent source of energy, providing a steady release of glucose into the bloodstream, which can sustain you during workouts or competitions. Sweet potatoes are also packed with antioxidants, including beta-carotene, which can help reduce inflammation and support recovery after intense exercise.
Sweet potatoes are a versatile and nutritious vegetable that can be enjoyed throughout the year. However, their peak season and optimal freshness may vary depending on your location. In general, sweet potatoes are harvested in the fall, which is when you can find a wide variety of sweet potato cultivars at their best. The cooler months allow the sweet potatoes to develop their flavors fully, resulting in a sweeter and more flavorful taste. During the late fall and winter months, sweet potatoes are often readily available and at their peak freshness.
Maca powder has a rich history dating back thousands of years in the Andean region of Peru. It is derived from the root of the maca plant (Lepidium meyenii), which is native to the high altitudes of the Peruvian Andes. Maca has been cultivated and consumed by indigenous communities for centuries, primarily for its medicinal and nutritional properties. Revered as a sacred crop, maca played a significant role in the Inca civilization and was highly valued for its ability to enhance energy, fertility, and overall well-being. Traditionally, maca was consumed by warriors and athletes to boost stamina and improve physical performance. Over time, the reputation of maca spread beyond the Andean region, gaining popularity as a superfood worldwide due to its unique nutritional profile and potential health benefits.
Also Read: [RECIPE] Maca Coconut Energy Balls
Today, maca powder is recognized for its adaptogenic properties, as well as its high content of vitamins, minerals, and bioactive compounds. It continues to be valued as a natural supplement to support energy, hormonal balance, and overall vitality. The fascinating history of maca powder showcases its long-standing cultural significance and the enduring legacy of its use as a beneficial plant-based ingredient.
Bone broth is a nutritious and flavorful addition to this recipe. Made by simmering animal bones, typically from beef, chicken, or fish, along with aromatic vegetables and herbs, bone broth is known for its rich collagen content, essential amino acids, and minerals. When incorporated into the soup, bone broth adds depth and complexity to the overall flavor profile. It infuses the soup with a savory undertone, enhancing the natural sweetness of the sweet potatoes. Moreover, bone broth provides additional nutritional benefits, including supporting joint health, promoting gut health, and boosting the immune system. Its gelatinous texture also lends a satisfying mouthfeel to the soup. Whether you make your bone broth or opt for a store-bought version, adding it to the Sweet Potato and Maca Soup not only increases its nutritional value but also contributes to a more robust and wholesome dining experience.
With the high-quality ingredients in this recipe come plenty of health benefits. Such as:
– Enhanced energy levels: The combination of complex carbohydrates from sweet potatoes and the energizing properties of maca powder provides sustained energy for athletes, helping to fuel intense workouts or long-duration activities.
– Muscle recovery and anti-inflammatory properties: The antioxidants present in sweet potatoes, especially beta-carotene, can help reduce inflammation and support muscle recovery post-exercise. This can aid in minimizing muscle soreness and promoting faster healing.
– Improved endurance: Maca powder has been shown to enhance endurance and increase stamina, making it a valuable addition to an athlete’s diet. It helps combat fatigue and improves overall performance, allowing athletes to train harder and longer.
– Adaptogenic: The inclusion of maca powder in this recipe introduces adaptogenic properties that can benefit both athletes and individuals seeking overall wellness. Adaptogens are natural substances known to help the body adapt and respond better to stressors, whether physical, mental, or environmental. Maca powder, derived from the maca root, is renowned for its adaptogenic qualities. It can help support the body’s resilience and promote a balanced stress response. By incorporating maca into this soup, you’re infusing it with an extra layer of support for your body and mind. Whether you’re looking to enhance athletic performance, combat fatigue, or simply improve your overall well-being, this adaptogenic Sweet Potato and Maca Soup can provide an added boost to support you on your journey to optimal health.
And without further ado, here’s the recipe I’ve been raving about!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 2 TBSP avocado oil
- 3 cups beef bone broth
- 1 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 2 TBSP raw maca root powder
- 1 tsp ground (or fresh) ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat avocado oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and garlic and sauté until fragrant and translucent.
- Add the cubed sweet potatoes to the pot and stir well to combine with the onion mixture.
- Add the ginger, cumin, cinnamon, maca powder, salt, and pepper over the sweet potatoes. Stir to coat the potatoes evenly with the spices.
- Pour the bone broth and coconut milk into the pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and let the soup simmer for about 20-25 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Once the sweet potatoes are fully cooked, use an immersion blender or transfer the soup to a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Return the soup to the pot and heat it over low heat for a few more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 304Total Fat: 18gCarbohydrates: 26gNet Carbohydrates: 22gFiber: 4gProtein: 12g
Adult Athletes Playbook
A Guide to Peak Performance and Athletic Longevity
This playbook will help you develop and implement a personalized game plan for improving athletic performance.